WWF Footprint Calculator

The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) has created a footprint calculator to allow people to assess their impact on the planet. The ecological footprint is an indicator of human pressure on nature, with humanity currently using the renewable resources of 1.5 Earths to meet our yearly demands for energy, food, shelter, and the things we do and buy – essentially, this means that it takes 1.5 years for Earth to regenerate the renewable resources that we use within a year. This is an unacceptable abuse of the planet on which we live. This chart shows the extent of the ecological overshoot caused by the global demand of humanity.


I would say that I am a relatively sustainable person, trying to reduce unnecessary consumption and partaking in sustainable practices. However, completing the footprint calculator has encouraged me to evaluate myself and make plans for leading a more sustainable life when it is possible. Unfortunately, as a university student, I currently have restricted control of some aspects of my life, which I am hoping to change when I graduate and am able to get a job and my own home. 

My results show my carbon footprint is 64%, which is better than UK average, but still has plenty of room for improvement.


A breakdown of my results shows my home is the largest contributor to my score, with my home consumption equalling the emissions of 1 small car, based on the average annual UK car emission. The advice from WWF for improvement is to switch to a renewable energy provider and utilise energy efficient appliances, yet, as a university student, I have no control over these elements of my home. I am hoping that, when I own a home, I can implement all of these features, as well as others, such as solar panels.

‘Stuff’ is the second largest contributor, comprising personal items I purchase. This is an area of my life I am currently working on, buying things only when they are essential. The WWF advises buying well-made items rather than cheaper alternatives, as well as buying second-hand where possible. I am already doing this, and buy from independent, sustainable stores most of the time. However, again, as a university student, I can not always afford to do this, as well-made, sustainable products tend to be more expensive.

Food is another component, with the WWF advising eating ‘in season’ and eating less meat and dairy. I am already a vegetarian (hoping to go vegan someday!) but need to work on eating in season as I currently pay little attention to the seasonality of the fruit and vegetables I eat.

Travel is the smallest contributor to my footprint as, where I currently live, most things I need are within walking distance. I hope that, when I graduate university, I am able to find employment locally so I can walk / cycle to work.

Overall, taking the WWF footprint calculator has been really inspiring, encouraging me to continue the sustainable practices I do at the moment, as well as pushing me to take further measures. I will definitely be recommending this calculator to my friends and family!

‘The planet is in crisis - from climate change to the pollution in our oceans and devastation of our forests. It's up to all of us to fix it.’ - WWF


All information has been taken from the WWF website. https://www.wwf.org.uk/

Comments

Popular Posts