Skillset Challenge II

We were recently asked to complete another skillset challenge – this time the brief was to create a dynamically interesting and visually strong composition using 7 components given to us, this included:

  • 2 photos
  • 1 drawing
  • 1 coloured bar
  • 1 page number (must be 10)
  • Title text (5 words)
  • Body text (117 words)

We were allowed to alter elements of these components in varying ways, such as size, font, colour etc. We were also informed that the page would be a right hand page with the spine on the left hand side.

After looking at the images provided, I assumed that the purpose of the page would be a brochure depicting a floor level lighting product and some precedent images of its use. Therefore, I have kept the layout relatively simple and informative, with the images and text set in a grid composition. To highlight the product in the images, my colour bars comprise the red colours pulled from the image that portrays the lights in use. I used a simple font for the body text, but a larger, different font for the title to draw the eye of the viewer, and the page number is in the bottom right, as per usual for a right hand page.

This was an interesting task to complete, especially as I am currently formulating a portfolio to present my own work. It has encouraged me to consider the page holistically, as opposed to everything as separate elements, and how I can use certain components to emphasise and highlight others. 

Comments

Popular Posts