A Response to ‘Landscape as Art’ – An Interview with Mark Blackwell

Mark Blackwell

During a recent talk I attended through my university, Dr Ying Li briefly interviewed the speaker, Mark Blackwell, on his views of the role of art in making meaningful landscapes. Blackwell identified how important is to have an ‘art layer’ within landscape architecture to create a design vision – reflection of this layer offers a human and social aspect to consider how people will interact and engage with one another within a space. He stressed the importance of this connection in the way we look at our journey of creating places for people. Blackwell also acknowledged the artistic link with culture and cities – encouraging us to understand the influences of art, music and literature on places and how we can reveal traces of them over time. He warned against over designing spaces, in order to create platforms for people to engage and create their own stories and places. The more physical appearances of art within the profession were also discussed – Blackwell encourages the use of model making, both physically and using 3D modelling technology, including programs such as SketchUp. This is about succinctly telling a story to the audience so they will remember our design.

I really enjoyed the talk from Mark, it was very interesting to hear his perspective on landscape architecture and his advice for our development in the profession. His view very much reminded of Kathryn Gustafson, who I studied in my previous post. As someone who struggles to explain themselves, art is a vital tool for me to portray my ideas and visions for a project. Between the talk and my study of Gustafson, I have realised that I do not visualise my ideas enough – I need to draw more and make more models. My fear of them not turning out perfect holds me back but I need to let this go and place pen on paper. I completely agree with his view on not over-designing spaces, I feel people will make a place their own, even if you intended it to be something completely different, and that is something we, as landscape architects, need to embrace. I also feel I need to study art more, in order to fully understand the way people view their landscapes, as well as gain inspiration for composition and colours of the environments I design. I have included my two favourite pieces of art depicting the landscape, both completely different in style and form but both equally inspiring for me.

The Great Wave off Kanagawa - Katsushika Hokusai 

Amalfi - Diane Whalley



Comments

Popular Posts