Who am I as a Designer? - Design Theory

 

Design theory is the rationale that justifies actions and outcomes. This is slightly different to a design approach, which is the original methodology for a design, a way of dealing with something. Design theory demonstrates that we, as landscape architects, make decisions based on reasoned theoretical basis, as opposed to personal preference. It is vital to ensure every choice and action within a project has purpose, helping to guide a design in a more holistic way and can prevent a designer from becoming too narrow minded. Design theory is also useful for portraying ideas to other people, who may not visualise something in the same way – it can be used to explain exactly what something is, why it is there, and the impact it will have, helping people understand a design fully.

Whilst I do not have specific design theories that I follow every project, I have overarching rationales behind every decision I make. Before I implement a feature into a design, I often question exactly why am I putting this in? Who or what will benefit? How can I improve it? Analysing the outcomes I hope to achieve and questioning myself and my actions every step of the way encourages me to make confident choices that I am sure will have a positive impact within a space. Most commonly, I will consider the environmental impact of my actions, choosing materials or vegetation that will cause the least environmental damage or increase the biodiversity of an area. Human engagement and connection are other theories behind my design, creating spaces that are accessible and inclusive, with the aim of forming places that everyone can enjoy. I question my choices, asking myself if my designs will appeal to a diverse range of people, and how I can utilise this to help form deep connections between people and their landscapes.

A design process is ‘the way in which design methods come together through a series of actions, events or steps’. My design process will often begin with research, gaining information regarding a site and its genius loci – the surrounding area, the ecology, the people, the history etc. From there I will begin to analyse what I have learnt, often using mind maps and Pinterest boards to visualise my sequence of thoughts. I then begin to develop these lone thoughts, combing them in concept diagrams and quick sketches of form, before establishing solid ideas. These ‘finalised’ ideas will often change many times after as I question the theory behind them, repeating the steps in my design process to find the best possible outcome. 

I utilised this process in my latest design project – the redevelopment of Alney Island, Gloucester. After I had done the initial research I put together two mind maps, one detailing existing elements of the site and one of the potential ideas that resulted. 

Mind Maps

This led to a series of conceptual drawings, first studying the form of a willow branch, before experimenting with the ways this could be presented, incorporating my concept of conservation to portray a willow branch, laid out carefully for preservation.

Concept Diagrams

This eventually led to a design that mimicked this form, incorporating the concept of conservation into the design, which was also reflecting at ground level using habitat creation and a less is more approach.


Masterplan with Concept Overlay

Comments

Popular Posts